This trip is now full. Further applications are welcome but will be placed on the Waiting List.
‘New York, New York, so good they named it twice’ sang Gerard Kenny in 1978, and 40 years later NY is still a totally awesome, and uniquely iconic city to visit, and is our destination for a joint curriculum trip during February half term, 2019.
This is a trip of a lifetime, and will be life changing. It is a joint trip, bringing together the Art, Photography, Textiles/DT Departments. This trip is offered to those students studying these subjects at GCSE or A Level, but this is not exclusive. All students with a genuine interest are most welcome.
Our trip to Barcelona was an incredible success and our forthcoming trip to Rome and Florence proved massively popular, and is eagerly awaited. This proves to experience the art, architecture, fashion and technology of a city up close can enhance a student’s appreciation, understanding and admiration of the very best it can offer. In these areas New York offers probably more than any other city in the world.
Students will have the opportunity to observe, photograph, absorb and draw as we visit some of the most influential art museums and iconic buildings in New York, underpinning the study of Design Movements for the last 100 years. Students will visit the Garment District, meet a successful designer in their showroom, visit NYC’s rare Accessories Factory making goods, conduct a Mini-Project.
This robust itinerary gives a unique opportunity for students to ask questions, see new collections, and learn about art, architecture and fashion right in the epicentre of it all. All these experiences directly support and underpin the students’ work at GCSE and A Level.
The trip is jammed packed with visits and activities:
- Metropolitan Museum of Art – The MET
- Guggenheim Museum
- International Centre of Photography
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- Museum of Modern Art
- Observation deck of the Empire State Building
- Staten Island Ferry, Liberty and Ellis Islands
- Photographic walking tour
- Macy’s Department Store and local independent shops in Midtown
- Grand Central Station
- 9/11 Museum and Memorial Park
- Harlem Gospel Singers and BB King Gospel Choir Brunch
- High Line walk and street art
- Lunch in iconic areas – Central Park, Chelsea Market, Bowling Green, Macy’s, Saks
- Dinner in traditional New York restaurants
- The Stephen Sondheim Theatre to see ‘Beautiful’, the musical story of Carole King, a girl from Brooklyn.
Fairfield Inn and Suites, in the Garment District/Midtown, in rooms with two queen size double beds, shared between 4 students, all en suite – fabulous and central:
we will be using is Halsbury, a family run, school’s trip specialist, who have a high reputation as a well-organised and established provider.
Sunday 17th to Saturday 23rd February 2019 TBC
Trip is open to:
Present Years 9, 10, 11 and 12. If there are any places available after September 2018 new students to Hayesfield will be able to apply.
The trip will be led by myself, along with Mr Lee, Mrs Lisney, Miss Button and Ms Osborne, all highly experienced specialist staff across the subject areas.
based on a minimum of 25, and a maximum of 45 students, includes:
- Flights from London, direct to New York, with hold and cabin baggage allowance
- UK and USA coach transfers
- 7 days/5 nights bed and breakfast accommodation. Towels included
- Fully comprehensive Insurance
- 5 evening meals
- 4 lunches (students given a budget of 15$ each day x 4 to buy lunch + 1 BB King Gospel brunch included)
- All entrance fees
based on a minimum of 25 students: £1426 – maximum of 45 students: £1408
- money for shopping and souvenirs, subway rides (lots of walking involved though)
- Personal insurance for own camera
- Extra snacks and drinks in hotel or out and about
- 14$ (about £9) for an ESTA – http://www.esta.us/uk.html
- All staff and students must have this travel authorisation in order to enter the USA
The reply slip must be given in AND the 1st non-refundable deposit of £250 to be paid no later than the 28th February 2018, to initially secure a place.
are to be made online through Tucasi (Scopay), under the account name NewYork2019. You are most welcome to place any interim payments into your account at your convenience.
Please note: there is a formal payment plan for this trip – attached.
This will be a fantastic trip. It is a wonderful opportunity. There will be physical demands on each student, as we will be walking quite a bit. Behaviour is of the highest expectations. Poor behaviour at school, leading to this trip, could jeopardise the place. If the trip is oversubscribed names will be drawn out of a hat, and any deposit paid will be refunded if a place is not secured.
If you would like to book a place. Please note the deadline:
- Complete the slip below and return to myself only, via either campus receptions or, email the slip to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is the dedicated email address for this trip.
- Pay the 1st deposit of £250 using Scopay – account: New York 2019
- Wait for an email to confirm the place and receipt of the 1st deposit
Mrs B Brian
New York Trip Group Leader