Hayesfield Girls’ School and Mixed Sixth Form strives to enable students to develop their knowledge, skills and creativity, preparing them for the 21st century workplace. A central focus is to provide real world context within the world of work and provide students with challenging leadership opportunities that will prepare them for life.
At Hayesfield Girls’ School and Mixed Sixth Form we recognise that careers guidance is very important for young people. They need to be able to navigate increasingly complex and challenging choices and manage transitions successfully.
The Employability Chartermark was awarded to Hayesfield Girls’ School in 2015
It shows that the school has:
- an effective system of advice and guidance
- direct exposure to the work environment
- specific and tailored learning support in key areas including preparation of CVs, applications forms, interviews and attitude to work
- direct involvement of businesses in career briefing, development of the curriculum and mentoring of students
Hayesfield works closely with The Careers and Enterprise Company to ensure there are encounters with employers and higher education to bring opportunities to life and inspire our students. Our Enterprise Adviser is Lucy Beattie.
We are embedding the eight Gatsby Benchmarks to ensure good careers guidance to provide students with the best possible careers education, information, advice and guidance:
- A stable Careers Education programme
- Learning from Careers and Labour Market Information
- Addressing the needs of each pupil
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance
Hayesfield Girls’ School hosts an annual Employability Fair which includes an array of visitors offering workshops and masterclasses.
One to one Mock Interviews are given to all Year 11 students. In addition, sixth form students have the opportunity to undergo Mock Interviews panels. A wide range of interviewers are used including the Rotary Club, local and national businesses, governors and parents.
Faculties have excellent relationships with employers and students are inspired, informed and advised through talks, workshops and visits.
Hayesfield Girls’ School and Mixed Sixth Form is part of the Bath Education Trust to help prepare young people for employment. Helen Foley and Alison Pike are our independent Careers Advisers who visit weekly to undertake careers interviews and offer advice and guidance to students. This ensures they are receiving impartial careers advice (CEIAG) and that it is effective in ensuring they make informed choices that will impact on their progress and success at Key Stage 4 and beyond.
Hayesfield Girls’ School and Mixed Sixth Form are also involved in:
- Links with employers including Dyson, Rotork and BMT
- The WON (Western Outreach Network)
- The WIN (Wessex Inspiration Network)
- Global Employability talks
Mrs Turner, Career Leader, is available for advice and guidance to help students explore their options and make informed choices.
Through a comprehensive Careers programme within P.S.H.E. students develop an understanding of their personal skills and qualities and can relate these soft skills to their own personal experiences.
The PSHE careers programme includes work on planning your future, preparation for part-time and full-time work, completing accurate applications, interview techniques, applying for work experience. Also, students are advised on expected behaviour in the workplace, health and safety in the workplace, economic education and financial decisions, opportunities post 16, opportunities post 18 and the local labour market.
6th Form PHSE Overview
Labour Market Intelligence
Creative and Digital
Employability Matching Service flyer
Health and Life Sciences
Skills West Sector Skills
High Tech Services
Professional & Financial Services
Creative & Digital
Health & Life Sciences
Rural and Food Economy
Apprenticeship Opportunities, Student Courses and Taster Days
At this time of year numerous Apprenticeship opportunities and courses are available. Details are shared with students but can also be found on the school ‘SHARED (Q) Drive/CAREERS AND EMPLOYABILITY/Apprenticeships, courses and taster days. This is updated regularly.
Currently there is information on:
- HSBC Apprenticeships
- Hanson Apprenticeships Degree
- Apprenticeships Vacancies KPMG Bristol
- A Day in the Life of a Midwife Course for Year 11
- Sixth Form UWE Healthcare Taster Days Year 12
- Sports Taster Day at Bath University
- Year 12 Residential for WIN students at Bath University
Please contact Mrs Turner if you would like further information.