Hayesfield has high expectations of all our students. In order to enable them to achieve their ambitions Hayesfield offers every student a wide range of activities, opportunities and experiences which build on their natural interests, enthusiasms and talents. Students are encouraged to reach further into subjects in the classroom. They also enjoy a variety of group and independent learning opportunities beyond the classroom.
How to Support Your Child
- Show your interest in what your child is learning. Talk with them about what they are learning in lessons and have a look together at their exercise books and notes. These will have information about tasks, how to improve and places where they can reflect on work and move forward. Ask them to explain green and purple pen as well as red ink!
- Explore our suggestions on the school website. If your child has a particular talent or is curious to know more the individual webpages for each subject below sketch out how gifted and talented students perform in the classroom – and how they can go beyond the ordinary following their passions through a selection of accessible activities.
- Encourage them to go further. Hayesfield has a full and changing range of activities in our Period 6 Programme. Encourage them to participate fully. Ask them to perhaps try something new, offer leadership or share their expertise with others – and they will build their own skills at the same time. Could your child start a new activity with appropriate support? Mrs Blyth would like to hear from them.
- Encourage their reading. Reading widely, fiction, non-fiction, writers past and present, British and beyond, will feed your child’s mind and imagination. Talk about what they are reading in books, newspapers and online.
- Share their ambitions. Information about careers, apprenticeships, internships, university courses and summer schools are all available at Hayesfield and we have links to specialist guidance. Our Sixth Form also has a well-established programme to support applications to elite courses including Oxford, Cambridge and medicine plus options to study abroad. Ask your child’s Director of Achievement to advise you about how best to find out more.
- Encourage them to value themselves. Play, downtime, self-care and enjoying the things they love are vital. All are growing physically and personally in their time at Hayesfield. Continue to praise, support and enjoy your child as they do this.
The individual web pages for each subject area sketch how gifted and talented students perform – and how they can go beyond the ordinary following their passions through selection of accessible activities.
For more information please see the Able, Gifted and Talented Policy on the main Trust website here