At Hayesfield, we aim for our students to flourish into tomorrow’s scientists and science-literate citizens. Thanks to excellent teaching and state-of-the-art facilities, we inspire our students to be passionate about science. We give them the freedom to explore science creatively in a setting that offers bespoke support both in and out of the classroom. We carefully nurture our students, guiding them to aim high and choose the courses best suited to their needs and abilities. Many go on to achieve excellent results in a variety of science courses in our Mixed Sixth Form, where we offer traditional A Levels and Applied Science.
We are very proud of our students’ success in years 12 and 13, which is reflected by the number of students choosing to pursue science into further education and beyond.
- Mrs Emma Whatley – Head of Science Faculty and Head of Chemistry
- Mr Kris Attwood – Head of Physics
- Dr Elaine Avramenko – Science
- Mr Chris Fuller – Subject Leader of Biology
- Miss Megan Jarvis – Science
- Mr Mark Little – Science
- Mrs Katie Pennicott – Science (part time)
- Mr Ben Robinson – Science with responsibility for T&L in Science
- Mr David Rutt – Science
- Mr Martin Somerton – Head of KS5 Applied Learning and Progress for PP
- Mr Philip White – Science, Deputy Headteacher
- Mrs Alison Greenslade – Science Technician
- Mrs Sue Jarvis – Senior Science Technician (Administration)
- Mr Paul Keitch – Senior Science Technician (Technical Support)
Science is about investigating how the natural world works. Our Science faculty try to actively engage
students’ interests at every level by providing relevant and inspiring extracurricular activities. All staff are
involved in the Extra Curricular LEAP programme which provides a very wide range of additional and fun
activities to engender and excitement in the subject.
Student Support in Science
In Science students are supported by their teachers inside and outside lessons. Students with SEN will
receive additional support according to their needs. Staff use a variety of teaching methods to support
different styles of learning. Please see the SEN offer page.
Gifted & Talented Students receive a variety of opportunities to extend their learning including the
opportunity to study Global Perspectives at GCSE.
Please see the Gifted & Talented Page for more information.
The links below will take you to our subject areas. Here you will be able to access a wealth of information about the Curriculum at each stage of a student’s journey through Hayesfield as well information about Assessment, homework and setting. There are lots of useful resources and links.
- Lower School science
- Upper School science
- Applied certificate
- Biology A level
- Chemistry A level
- Physics A level