Even with the country in lock-down, we can still explore the cultural landscape through the comfort of our own front rooms. Here you will find a wide range of links to cultural events, shows, activities and exhibitions to inspire and enrich our cultural capital. From a live production at the National Theatre on London’s South Bank to a virtual tour of the Tate Modern in St Ives- you are just a few clicks away. We aim to update this section regularly so come back each week to check-out the latest events we have found.
Watch a Performance
We might be stuck in but that’s no excuse not to take in a show.
- Marquee TV are offering a 30 day free trial. This provides access to live performances from a huge range of cultural performances in Theatre, Dance, Opera and Documentaries – go and take a look at this hive of cultural activity
- British Film Institute have a very wide range of subscription films as well as free films to access at https://player.bfi.org.uk/free. Parents are advised to look for the ratings first
- Royal Shakespeare Company – As part of the BBC’s plans to keep bringing arts to audiences, we will be able to watch six RSC plays from the comfort of our own homes over the next few weeks: https://www.rsc.org.uk/news/culture-in-quarantine-7
Educational Online Resources
Most cultural groups or institutions will have a webpage dedicated to providing online learning resources.
These are usually highly interactive and fun as well as educational.
Here’s some of our favourites for you to explore:
- British Library – Discover and Learn Page – https://www.bl.uk/learning
- National History Museum – Some great ideas for exploring your back garden – https://www.nhm.ac.uk/take-part.html
- Royal Shakespeare Company – https://www.rsc.org.uk/shakespeare-learning-zone
- Science Museum – a wide range of interactive and educational games and apps https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/games-and-apps
- TATE Gallery – We can’t go to the art but it can come to us – https://www.tate.org.uk/art
- TED-Ed – TED’s youth and education initiative. TED-Ed’s mission is to spark and celebrate the ideas of teachers and students around the world https://ed.ted.com/
- Globe Theatre – Take a virtual tour around the theatre and learn about life in an Elizabethan Theatre https://www.shakespearesglobe.com/discover/
Bath Festivals Virtual Tour
While almost every performance due to take place has been postponed or cancelled, musicians, authors and artists are coming together to share inspiring content from all corners of the globe. This is their weekly guide to just a few of the amazing gigs, concerts, shows, exhibitions and more that you can enjoy online while staying at home.